Wednesday, December 15, 2010

"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!"

How many of you jewelry-makers, potters, artists, metalsmiths, seamsters, and other artisans out there sketch your work before you start setting up to make it? For those of you who do, does it help? For those of you who don't, why not?

I've tried doing the sketch thing before, but I seem to create just fine without. So far, I haven't really sketched anything out beforehand. With this last piece, I had the specific idea in mind first. It made me wonder if I could be one of those people who do concept sketches.

So, for #2 in my list of challenges, I had a couple ideas and decided to try sketching them. Since I don't have a scanner on hand, I decided to use my laptop pad and deviantArt's new oekaki-like feature, the dA Muro. (Have any of you deviantArt folks tried this yet? It's a lot of fun!) Anyway, here's what I came up with:


Rough, I know! When I work from prompts or themes, the first thing I do is brainstorm by free associating and/or playing word games. This time I just free associated; "a flooded field" conjures up thoughts of glimmering rice paddies. It also brings to mind the way cranberries are harvested---by flooding the field so that the berries float and then scooping and skimming them up off the surface of the water. I don't know which to go with, but I do know that I will probably do a set of earrings this time, since it was a necklace last time.

Anyhow, I would love to hear anyone's thoughts on sketching as part of the creative process. This is all very new to me, and so others' perspectives are most welcome. :)

----- ----- -----

3 comments:

Crystal said...

I never sketch when I make a three dimensional piece. I just dive in. Maybe that is why I have so many useless prototypes. :-) But...sometimes I create something unexpected and better than if I had planned it. So its one of those things that are half dozen of one and six of the other. Your sketches look like that are really going to be fantastic though.

My Life Under the Bus said...

Love these - I alway want to sketch an idea out but seem to gravitate .toward the tactile method of working with my hands and having everything in front of me.

Anonymous said...

I recently picked up a small notebook to start some sketching but it still sits empty. Many times my creations are trial and error. Sounds like something I need to add to my creativity challenges for 2011. Can't wait to see what others say.