Saturday, February 19, 2011

Embroiled Psyche

The moon was a giant, sunset-colored coin hovering over the horizon tonight. I was driving toward it and it was like finally moving toward home. When it rose, full and white, it made the clouds stand out as though they were sewn to the sky with silver thread. We went by an old cemetery that is said to house a ghostly woman with a pale gown; she did not show herself to us, but moonlight glinting off crooked stones was worth the drive. We were very tired, we were very merry; we had stopped at a cafe on the way for coffee. The wind howled all around us, bringing down tree branches and casting about debris in an eerie way. Then, it was back home again for wine and a game of Scrabble.

It's hard to know how to feel these days. Out in the world there is much anger, much unrest. The days this week have been marked by protest, both at home and abroad; there is the unfolding plight of working-class families in Wisconsin over union-labor rights, the movements of the House to curb government spending. The world is changing around us. This is an historic time; important things, important things.

My work has become much darker as of late, probably because of these uncertainties, the longing for simpler times, and the yearning for a return to the earth.



Even though I try hard not to, I inevitably bring these things to the beading table with me. They are always in the background, influencing my creativity. Music helps sometimes, but not completely. This isn't necessarily a bad thing; it's just a thing. It's soothing to work, to be doing something, because sometimes the world can make you feel so helpless.

What do you think? What have you done to "cope"?

 ----- ----- -----

7 comments:

Marian Hertzog said...

The coming season of Spring brings new "hope"! My faith in God and being able to pray about life helps. Every small act of kindness and doing the right things in a very wrong world really do make a difference even if it is hard to see. The legacy that I have given my children to have morals and standards in a world where there aren't morals and standards much anymore is a "hope" for them too.

Crystal said...

So true. Hopefully things will settle down everywhere, but probably not. There is always unrest somewhere. And as they say you can't make everyone happy. Creative work sometimes has even more feeling during these times, so as you say, go with it. It just is. :-)

My Life Under the Bus said...

Very true and I think it depends on my mood. SOmetimes I want to create something to make me forget what is going on. Pretty airy light. Other times i want to work through what is going on darker colors and themes. I don't think I share the darker pieces as much as the lighter. Not sure why. I do worry what my children will have left.

Cindy said...

I do agree our creations can be a reflection of our mood and our environment. Your new pieces are not too dark...and I especially love the necklace with the mix of elements and your use of leather.

My Life Under the Bus said...

Hi Jamberry! I posted today a necklace for "What she keeps in" Thanks for the inspiration!

My Life Under the Bus said...

Sorry I forgot the link!

http://mylifeunderthebus.typepad.com/my-life-under-the-bus/2011/02/bead-table-wednesday-22311.html

Miss Val's Creations said...

Beautiful new designs! It is so sad to see what it going on across the globe right now. I have this bad feeling things are going to continue getting worse. So I try to stay positive with things I have control over. Creativity is so important for our sanity!!! ~Val